(Jvari Monastery, Samtavro Monastery, Svetitskhoveli Cathedral)
Mtskheta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was inhabited since 1000 BC and used to be the capital of the early Kingdom of Iberia (now Eastern Georgia). Only 20 km from Tbilisi, at the confluence of the rivers Mtkvari and Aragvi, the town is located on an ancient commercial road. Archeologists have uncovered proof of the status of Mtskheta as a major trading post.
The Historical Monuments of Mtskheta are located in the cultural landscape at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari Rivers, in Central-Eastern Georgia, some 20km northwest of Tbilisi in Mtskheta.
The Holy Cross Monastery of Jvari, Svetitskhoveli Cathedral and Samtavro Monastery are key monuments of medieval Georgia. The present churches include the remains of earlier buildings on the same sites, as well as the remains of ancient wall paintings.
The complex of the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in the center of the town includes the cathedral church, the palace and the gates of the Katolikos Melchizedek that date from the 11th century, built on the site of earlier churches dating back to the 5th century. The cruciform cathedral is crowned with a high cupola over the crossing, and there are remains of important wall paintings in the interior. The rich sculpted decoration of the elevations dates from various periods over its long history.
The small domed church of the Samtavro Monastery was originally built in the 4th century and has since been subject to various restorations. The main church of the monastery was built in the early 11th century. It contains the grave of Mirian III, the king of Iberia who established Christianity as official religion in Georgia.
|Distance||1-3 person||4-8 person||9-15 person|
|80 km||190 GEL||215 GEL||335 GEL|